Main » 2011 » November » 24 » GRAPES AND RAISINS - DANGEROUS FOOD FOR DOG
6:49 PM
GRAPES AND RAISINS - DANGEROUS FOOD FOR DOG




Sad dog longing for grapes

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins have often been used as treats for dogs. But it's not a good idea. Although it isn't clear why, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. And just a small amount can make a dog ill. Repeated vomiting is an early sign. Within a day, the dog will become lethargic and depressed. The best prevention is to keep grapes and raisins off counters and other places your dog can reach.

  • Grapes and Raisins can cause irreversible damage to the kidneys, possible resulting in death.

  • Ingesting as few as 4-5 grapes or raisins can be poisonous to a 20 pound dog, though the exact toxic dose is not established.

  • Signs of toxicity include vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, abdominal pain, decreased urine production (possibly leading to lack of urine production), weakness and drunken gait.

  • Onset of signs typically occurs within 24 hours (though they can start just a few hours after consumption)

  • Your vet may start by inducing vomiting, or the stomach might be pumped (gastric lavage). Treatment involves aggressive supportive care - particularly fluid therapy and medications.



Category: Dangerous Food | Views: 620 | Added by: Meli | Rating: 4.0/1
Total comments: 0
Name *:
Email *:
Code *:
JavaScript Free Code Extremely Cute Puppy Dog Elvis Yorkshire